If you have a roof leak or even think it might be a leak from your roof, first thing to do is call Magnolia Roofing. Below, Magnolia Roofing has a list of common problems to check before a roofing service technician comes out. Below you will find a list and pictures of each common problem that will make you think you have a roof leak when in fact it is not related to the roofing system. When you have checked the things on the following list and you are convinced it is a roofing system matter, please fill out the service authorization form below and give us a call for a service technician to come out and inspect your roof. Magnolia Roofing is happy to come out and check your roof. If Magnolia Roofing makes a service call and the leak is not related to the roofing system installed by Magnolia Roofing there will be a $125.00 service fee. If Magnolia Roofing finds a leak to be unrelated to the roofing system and Magnolia Roofing is able to make the repair, a fee will be discussed and if you would like the issue repaired Magnolia Roofing, after acceptance of the fee will make the repair.
Roof Leak: Common Leak Issues
There is a short list of common roof leak issues to check before a service technician comes to your home. Around 50% of roof leak callbacks are unrelated to the roofing service and here you can find the short list of leak issues to check yourself.
- A/C pan in the attic overflow. The A/C overflow pan and A/C lines in the attic are one of the most common problems seen on a roof leak call back. Go in your attic and see if the pan under the A/C unit is full of water. If the pan has water you should immediately call an air conditioning repair company. Here is a quick tip from Magnolia Roofing, once a month open your cap to your overflow line and put a full cap of Clorox bleach in the line. The Clorox bleach will kill algae and help prevent your hot water heater line from clogging up.
- Gutters and downspouts full of debris and clogged. Another very common leak issue is gutters full of leaves and debris. Everything from tennis balls to leaves and pine straw will clog up downspouts and fill the gutters to the point they overflow. When gutters and downspouts get clogged, water will flow backward and go under the shingles and make it appear that you have a roof leak. Make sure you check the gutters as well as your downspouts to be sure they are free of debris. Have Magnolia Roofing or another roofing or gutter professional clean your roof and gutters at least once a year to make sure you do not have what appears to be a roof leak from your gutters.
- Cracked bricks and mortar in the chimney. Cracked bricks and old cracked mortar are very common problems that will make you think you have a roof leak. This one you may not be able to check on your own, but if the leak is near or around the chimney be prepared for a service call fee and repair bill on this one. Over time chimneys must be worked and reworked depending on age. The mortar may need at some point to be redone or you may be able to get by with just waterproofing the chimney.
- Chimney cap cracked and leaky. Older chimney caps must be replaced from time to time. A chimney cap is another leak issue that you may not be able to handle on your own depending on your age and the pitch of your roof. If it is not safe to inspect your roof and chimney never do so, call a roofing professional. This is another roof maintenance issue that will have to be paid for and must be done from time to time when you have a chimney. Get the Magnolia Roofing maintenance agreement and have Magnolia Roofing come out and inspect your roof, clean your roof and make sure your chimney cap is ok.
- Stucco around the chimney and wall is another very common area that will make you think you have a roof leak. Stucco over time will get cracks and this allows water to enter the home. Stucco around the chimney and the sidewalls are very prone to leak water when it is aged. This is another problem you may not be able to access on your own.
- Brick wall pulling away from home. The brick wall can literally pull away from the home, when this happens it will allow water to come in and in many cases, homeowners think the roof is leaking. Over time homes settle and can cause this issue to happen. If you see your outer wall separating from the main structure this is most likely the cause of your leak. Magnolia Roofing will be happy to follow up and check this for you and there may be a service call fee involved on this one but if your not sure call a roofing pro.
- Skylights are notorious for leaking. Older skylights are very prone to leak around the frame and the glass itself depending on the age of the skylight. Sometimes skylight leaks can be repaired however it’s best to just replace the skylight and get rid of the leak for good. All Out Roofing will only install Velux Skylights. The reason Magnolia Roofing is so adamant about using Velux Skylights is they have the best warranty in the skylight industry and they stand behind it. If you have a new roofing project already scheduled or you are just seeing leaks around old skylights think about replacing your old skylights with a new color power fresh air skylight. You may even be entitled to a federal tax rebate installing a Velux fresh air skylight.
Another common problem that is so often forgotten when you think you have a roof leak is the hot water heater. Your hot water heater can go out at any time, normally you will get five to fifteen years usage from your hot water heater however they can go bad at any time. Make sure if your hot water heater is in your attic like so many are that you check your overflow pan to see if it is full of water before you think you have a roof leak. If your hot water heater is leaking turn the water off immediately and call a plumber.
If you have checked these common problems and would like to schedule a roofing technician to come out asses and repair your roof, fully aware if the leak is NOT due to the roofing system there will be a service charge. Please fill out the form below and call the Magnolia Roofing office at 985.898.3468. Please check one of the boxes for service. We cannot process and get on your roof without an authorization to do so. The below form gives Magnolia Roofing permission to come to your home, get on your roof and do an inspection for the leak you called in about. Magnolia Roofing will determine the cause of the leak and report to you, the homeowner. No repairs will be done without the proper content box checked below.